Meissen porcelain; the first European hard-paste porcelain manufacturer started production in 1710. The foundation work was conducted by Walther von Tschirnhaus and concluded by Johann Friedrich Böttger. The production of porcelain in the royal factory at Meissen, near Dresden, was financed by Augustus the Strong, King of Poland and Elector of Saxony and early pieces carried his mark. The characteristic signature logo we still know today, the crossed swords, was introduced in 1720 as an early form of copyright.
© Picture Andersons’s Auctions.